About Yoga Therapy
Move your mind and body toward balance, strength, and flexibility. Shift into new
patterns that support your presence, vitality, and resilience.
Body Systems Yoga Therapy combines and adapts movement and breathing practices, stress reduction and relaxation, self-care strategies for sleep and nutrition, and training for attention and self-awareness.
Yoga Therapy focuses on how we respond to life’s challenges, such as health conditions and life transitions. We work directly with your body and mind to address physical and mental pain, and the end of suffering. How you relate to yourself is where we begin.
Five Rivers Yoga Therapy offers a gentle, therapeutic approach that is supportive of those with limited mobility or are living with chronic pain and illness.
To get started, set up your complementary call:
The underlying premise of [yoga therapy] is to treat the whole person…. Therefore, each prescribed course is different. Not only do the areas of treatment differ, but the manner in which they are used vary according to the individual. These programs consider physical exercises, dietary habits, work schedule, family matters, and so on. (Mohan)
As yoga therapists, we use the tools of breath, awareness, relaxation, yoga postures and movement, sound, visualization, and meditation to help people transform habits and patterns that are not serving them and move towards more healthful ways of being. From the yoga perspective, healing is a natural process and yoga is a way of removing obstructions to that process…. The focus is on the multidimensionality of the whole human being; physical, physiological, mental, emotional, and spiritual. (Gates)
Yoga Therapy Competencies (from IAYT) include:
- An understanding of yoga teachings, yoga philosophy, and their application to yoga therapy, including the condition and functioning of the mind and the understanding of health and disease.
- Knowledge of the allopathic and psychological concepts of health and pathology and contemporary health care environment.
- Understanding, and integration in practice of yoga therapy, of the importance of body-mind connection.
- Knowledge and skills related to therapeutic skills and client education with individuals and groups, how to manage the complexities of therapeutic relationships and apply the yamas and niyamas.
- Understanding the breadth of yoga practices and their application, with the ability to integrate knowledge in practice throughout all aspects of providing yoga therapy.
- Understanding the principles of professional practice.